Thursday, October 01, 2020

Keep waiting

Bukit Lawang is a small village 90 kilometers northwest of Medan, the capital city of North Sumatra, Indonesia, situated on the eastern side of Gunung Leuser National Park.
 

On 2 November 2003, a frightening flash flood hit Bukit Lawang and severely destroyed 400 houses, mosques, bridges, kiosks and food stalls, hotels, guest houses, and killed 239 people.  After eight months of rebuilding, it was re-opened again in July 2004.

Many years ago, I backpacked to Bukit Lawang and spent such an enjoyable moment in that peaceful village; it was unforgettable to me undoubtedly.  Since then, I have seen real orangutans in the wild, not in the zoo. 

God also guided me to see Tony Silalahi, an Indonesian friend who eventually became close as brothers.  He is an artist and a good chef, opening a souvenir shop in Buki Lawang.  Before returning to Thailand, I promised him to revisit as soon as possible;  he intended to take me to Lake Toba and show me his home soil.

Unfortunately, the spread of the Covid-19 virus and a big responsibility in Thailand have delayed my travel abroad so far.  Today I miss Tony so much and wanna say that on the final trip of mine we will meet each other again for sure.

The Indonesian volcano might not be as attractive as one in New Zealand, but it is much easier to reach, I reckon.  The heat underneath would be the same.

 

Let's see what would happen on my last trip!

No comments: